Saturday, February 4, 2012

Self-Published Book Awards | WritersDigest.com

Self-Published Book Awards | WritersDigest.com

I just entered A Sixties Story in this contest for the second time.

It didn't win the first time I entered, but I just received these comments from one of the contest judges:

What did you like best about this book?
Say "Chicago" and "1968" and, if you were alive then, you'll think of the "police riot" that went on during the Democratic convention. Apicelli brings considerable insight into her description of that event, including Mayor Daley's order to kill rioters and maim or cripple looters. I was old enough to watch the Chicago events on television and I remember hoping I never, ever, saw anything like that again. She did a wonderful job with this coverage, and I felt personally grateful to the "angel" woman who offered to take the scared kids out in her car. I've known a great deal about this event, but Toni made it personal and offered new events.

How can the author improve this book?
Although tie-dye is a perfect symbol of the sixties, the dark background makes the cover look more like a target, which I thought at first it was! (Or maybe that's appropriate for the Chicago event.) Self-publishing is expensive, so recalling all those books and changing the cover might not be practical. I hope that if it goes into reprint she'll color that cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment