Saturday, December 1, 2012

Muddy Waters and the Rolling Stones, 1981

http://video.pbs.org/video/2310115288/

All you lovers of blues and rock 'n' roll, be sure to see this video made at the Checkerboard Lounge in November 1981. Buddy Guy, Lefty Diz and Junior Wells also joined in. It's a great concert of the music we know and love. I have seen most of these performers live through the years and treasure the memories of those and many other great nights of musical treats.

I think of this as sixties music because that's around when I got introduced to it. I was about 12 or 13 when I started listening to rock--a bit later I got to the blues and folk. I think our generation was so lucky. We had decades of amazing music to become familiar with. Although I wasn't around for the early 1900s, recordings introduced us to everything and everyone.

Someone once said that there are only two kinds of music, good music and bad music. That certainly seems true to me. I'm no expert. Good music is what I like. Bad music is what I don't like.

In my twenties I mostly listened to Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Pete Seeger, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, the Doors, the Band, all the Motown groups, Otis Redding, The Velvet Underground and Nico ... the list is way too long to list here. Many careers were cut short and we'll never know where their music would have gone if they had lived or survived the many band breakups.

When the seventies brought punk rock, I felt lonely. But I think I got into Willie Nelson then and some country. The eighties brought the Clash and Eurythmics (Annie Lennox!), Robert Palmer and quite a few others who continued the rock tradition in a direction I understood. Over the last couple of decades jazz (mostly the music recorded before about 1965), classical and opera were added in to the mix.

It seems to me that music is a universal language that crosses all kinds of barriers with ease. People enjoy it without worrying about who else does or doesn't like it. It's worldwide now--the internet and YouTube have connected the world in a way that we couldn't imagine when I was in my twenties and we all hoped for a united world. We roam freely through the world of music using electronic devices that were equally unimaginable back then. We may never have the world peace we also hoped for, but the world has come together in many ways that are good and healthy and who knows, maybe it will be peaceful someday. Until then, we have music--and that's a huge comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment