Wednesday, October 6, 2010

fall posting #1

I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted anything. Time is flying by.

Update on A Sixties Story: The final book contents and cover are due for my approval October 12 and 13. If all is well, I should have a book a couple of weeks after that. I never dreamed it would take this long.

Last week we went to a book signing at Sandmeyer's Book Store in the south loop for our good friend Bob Gordon's book, Residential Design Studio. Here's what Bob says about the book:

"I am pleased to announce a book signing for my new book,  ResidentialDesign Studio” , published by Fairchild Books. It has 343 pages, in full color, and features 600 drawings and photographs.

The book includes chapters for each residential type; single family, townhouses, remodeling, walkup apartments, mid-rises, and towers. There are also chapters on important residential spaces; kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms. In addition, there are chapters on “Mixed-Use”residential/commercial design, and urban design. This will explain howresidential design relates to the context of the community where it is built. Sustainability and accessibility are discussed throughout the book. Each chapter also includes a selection of “Case Studies," to show examples of some of the best residential projects already built in the U.S. and abroad. It gives an international sense to residential design."

The book is beautifully done as is his first book: Perspective Drawing: A Designer's Method, which includes his own wonderful drawings. Both are being used as textbooks at several colleges. We enjoyed them even though we aren't enrolled in a class. Find more info on Bob at: http://web.me.com/rgordonarchitect/RGA/Home.html.

We also were lucky enough to get into the Muti concert in Millennium Park. We got there two hours early and were amazed at how long the line was for free seats. So we rented chairs and sat about halfway back on the lawn. It was a great concert made even greater by his recent announcement that he has to cancel all the fall concerts due to illness. We're hoping for a full recovery for him.

I had jury duty yesterday. What an experience. Instead of sitting all day in a big room reading a book, our "group" got called right away to a jury selection. It took all day and felt like the third degree sometimes. It was an amazing experience but by the end of the day, my back was killing me. I was rejected and am guaranteed now that I won't called for jury duty for a year.

I've managed to get in some beautiful walks and bike rides during this perfect fall and hope for many more. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment